Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Politics on 2.0

I've been paying attention to my RSS feeds and keeping up with the news. Lo and behold! It seems that the social internet is an important factor in the Presidential election. Facebook, Flickr, YouTube... they are all focusing the attention of young voters in various interesting ways. It seems that politicians are taking hold of all these new interactive tools and engaging young voters on their own ground. There are a few serious drawbacks, but the numbers of those responding to the candidates' on line efforts are pretty amazing!

Am I the only one who hasn't noticed this happening? This seems to me to be parallel to the Kennedy/Nixon debates, the first to be broadcast on TV if I remember correctly. That changed American politics forever. Only time will tell if this new internet interest boils down to actual votes, but what a step into the fast lane!

2 comments:

Melissa Wong said...

I think it is exciting to see the candidates using the web to reach out to younger voters. It's about taking their message to where the voters are.

McMillan said...

I like your comparison to the Kennedy/Nixon debate, and its use of new media at the time. What I find interesting about today's elections is that information is not only being distributed online to attract the American youth, but is giving increased access to people around the globe. I think it has created a process where many more people are engaged in this Presidential election and is providing more insights into the ways in which American government is conducted (for better or worse is still debatable).

Plus, as traditional media continues to be absorbed into larger conglomerates, the Internet is quickly becoming one of the only outlets to share and receive alternative viewpoints. People who cannot afford a 30 second television PSA can easily create their own & upload it to YouTube for free. In my opinion, that is true democracy at work.