Thursday, March 6, 2008

Feed Me!

I must admit that I spent very little time on this one as Mary had taught me about this in her seminars last term. Because of those lessons, I already had Bloglines set up on my office home page.

One of the feeds I subscribe to is "CollegeInfo.com" which has great articles about choosing schools and majors. This is very useful to us in the Transfer Center as we're always looking for new ways to help our students make these all-important decisions. Another related site is "Career College Central" for students making other choices. I also subscribe to "Librarian's Internet Index" for pertinent information.

Other than those, I can get my daily news fix by reading the feeds from CNN, ABC News, and ABC Entertainment. To keep my hand in the business field (my major and previous life) I subscribe to Fast Company, a young cutting-edge business magazine.

Last night on my home computer I set up Google Reader and played with that for a while. I think I'm going to like it better than Bloglines. The tab feature at the top is excellent for organizing material, and I think the layout is easier to read than Bloglines.

I took part of the tutorial from Technorati. That was a hoot for several reasons, but it's also very informative. I'll be exploring their tab feature to search for the business things I want to have on my home computer.

Onward!

4 comments:

McMillan said...

It would be interesting to consider some ways that these image "mash-ups" could be used at Marymount. Perhaps for promotional purposes or as an eye-grabbing way to emphasize a point in the classroom. What do you think?

MaryElla said...

I think Public Relations could have a ball with this and with blogging as well! Just think of what they could do with some of the pictures from the Career Fair!

Melissa Wong said...

You are an RSS pro! I wonder how many people Mary has gotten hooked on RSS? She's the library equivalent of a dealer -- getting us all addicted to custom-delivered information. :)

McMillan said...

There is nothing like personalized information & getting it when and how you want. I place the blame of my addiction on Tivo.