Sunday, March 9, 2008

Educational Blogging

Blogs seem to me to be an obvious tool for teaching English composition, any of the creative writing courses, and journalism but I sure would have loved to subscribe to some math blogs back in my university days! Just as a support tool and discussion forum, a math blog would have been fantastic. My friends and I had the equivalent of the time, the regular meeting at "our" table in the student union for coffee and screaming.

I would love to read a regular blog from some of the students attending semesters in London. Some of the students who recently returned from the Fall term at Regent's had some wonderful experiences, including travel, that I think other Marymount students would find inspiring and enlightening.

Institutional Research might wish to use a blog to relate information to Administration, Faculty and Staff. One of the tremendous advantages of this sort of blog would be the linking of selected material directly back to the primary sources that are web-based. I think it would be a great fit for selecting information and interpreting it for the Marymount community while allowing a forum for comments, questions, and discussion of findings. Also, as we are all involved in the implementation of the college's strategic plan, blogs might be a good way to share assessment tools and ideas for action plans.

I can't wait to see what others come up with for this topic! Are any faculty members already using blogs in their course work?

6 comments:

McMillan said...

Thanks for sharing some new blogs with everyone. One thing that is useful when using blogging software it to create hot links within your post so that readers can quickly access the websites, articles or other information that you provide. Let me know if you would like me to show you how this can be done in your editing window.

McMillan said...

I've realized that I have been adding comments to the wrong postings on your blog. For some reason, I was thinking that the comment link was at the top of each post rather than at the bottom. Oh Well. In case you were confused at my comments in relation to your writing...that is why.

MaryElla said...

I figured out the comment thing. The comment link is in a misleading place! I also figured out how to add a link to my blog, but it just shows the address. Is there a way to make the link like other posts where you just click on the phrase in the sentence and it takes you to another page? I like the way that looks a lot better!

McMillan said...

In order to link from the text, simply highlight the words you would like to link from, click on the "link" button on your toolbar, which will open up a window where you will then paste (or type) in the URL for the website that you would like the chosen text to link to. I have noticed in Blogger that you need to then change the font color to blue if you would like the link to pop out on the screen. Let me know if you would like me to demonstrate.

Melissa Wong said...

I love your idea of a London blog! If this were a college supported blog, it could also be a great resource for future students. They could see the transition issues other students went through, get tips on sites to see, etc.

Aquarius said...

This is a very late comment, but I was catching up with what the rest of the MCPV bloggers had done in their sites. I agree with Melissa with London blogs. Liz N of the Learning Center had created one during the winter term when she joined Sharon J in London. I had so much fun reading (Liz writes so well) the very detailed everyday happenings during her stay there.