Wednesday, April 2, 2008

WikiWiki

Well. There are wikis for everything! I dipped my toe in the wiki water and came up with several subjects that have them. I loved the WikiHow site. I could have learned "How To Apply Makeup as a Man" or "How To Grill Tri Tip Steak," among many other subjects. I'm sure I'll go back to that one to learn "How To See Rome in Three Days." WikiHow seemed to be an excellent use for wikis as it is user friendly, can be easily updated or edited, and covers many different areas of interest. There were wikis for celebrity "fandoms", wikis for Lotus auto enthusiasts, and wikis to find the answers to life's burning questions.

I read an article on the "Information Week" site about How to Use Wikis for Business. One comment grabbed my attention: "The real problem with the 'wikitorial' was that the Times sent a wiki to do a blog's job." The example of a news team trying to use wiki for an editorial page really brought home that these new tools I'm learning about aren't just applications that may or may not make life easier or more fun. They are different from each other and have specific uses, flexible as they may be. I just need to learn more about them all in order to use them correctly and to my advantage.

1 comment:

McMillan said...

That's a very good insight Mary Ella. Although these tools are available, it is still important to carefully consider using the right tool for the job (if any at all).