Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Linking Up

The social networking sites are pretty fascinating! And I think I'll be joining one in the next few months. I am moving to a rural area outside Knoxville, Tennessee, and I can foresee the need for communication with kindred spirits that might not be physically available in my immediate area.

Regardless of other sites I might decide to join, I'm going to become a member of Ficlets. I used to participate in lyric wheels and round robins until it got too hard for any of us to control who joined in. With Ficlets, that problem will mostly be avoidable!

My husband joined LinkedIn several months ago and has enjoyed that. One thing he discovered early on in his membership is that "headhunters" are mining LinkedIn for potential hires. Since most potential employers prefer that an applicant be currently employed, the profiles of LinkedIn members are helping them find appropriate people in the target field of business.

I look forward to setting up an account, but I'm going to wait for a few weeks to get that done!

2 comments:

McMillan said...

That is interesting to know about headhunters searching LinkedIn for potential hires. It just confirms how important it can be for people to be careful about what information that put out in a public arena. I have heard of college admissions staff checking social networking sites to see the behavior of potential students.

If you decide to join Facebook let me know as it could be one avenue for us to keep in touch after you move.

MaryElla said...

Virginia brings up a similar point with all the students aspiring to transfer to a four year school. If your email address is "partygirl2008" you can bet your transfer school will note it on your application!

When I get settled in TN, I'll be sure to let you know where to find me! I'd like to stay in touch.